My best friend came to visit over the weekend and we went to one of our favorite Mexican restaurants! She was craving queso after an afternoon of wine tasting, but unfortunately, they don’t offer that on their menu. Say whaaaat?! Thankfully, cheese is great when you’re living the Ketogenic lifestyle! SCORE! So, I decided to tweak one of my other favorite soup recipes, Taco Soup, by adding cream cheese and heavy cream, it turned into a creamy, rich, cheesy Queso Soup and it was to DIE for! It’s literally like eating a bowl of queso with a spoon instead of chips! My Husband loved it and the kids finished every last bite!
- 2 lb ground turkey or ground beef
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 6 oz cream cheese, softened
- 2 10 oz cans of Rotel or diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 1/2 cups chicken broth (if you using turkey) or beef broth (if using ground beef)
- 1 Tbsp garlic powder
- 1 Tbsp onion powder
- 1 Tbsp cumin
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- Brown ground meat over medium-high heat in a large saucepan or dutch oven. Once browned, add onions and garlic and stir.
- Add all seasonings and stir.
- Add cream cheese and stir until the cream cheese has coated the meat.
- Pour in heavy cream and broth and give it another stir.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Simmer on low heat for 20 minutes then serve!